[time-nuts] EFOS2 MASER turns 34!

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:42:23 UTC 2017

Very nice report, Corby!

When I was in grad school back in the 90's, doing vacuum pump work was a
very menial task usually assigned to grad students, so naturally I became
quite familiar with it :-). Especially cleaning up messes with decrepit old
experimental systems!

I think back to those days and maintaining an already-functioning H-Maser
actually seems perfectly feasible in the long term.

The tight geometry of the copper package of a H-Maser sure seems a lot more
feasible than the other atomic clocks which are way more hi-tech stuff.
That said, machining the copper would be way beyond my ability!

I also did get to work some plasma physics experiments where we used
kettles - literally large industrial cooking kettles, with some hacked-in
brazed-shut machining for the various probes and plumbing. Maybe if there
was some way to homebrew a primitive H-Maser with that low level of
construction competence I could give it a try!

Please share more tales/pics of your H-Maser experience!

Tim N3QE