[time-nuts] Line Voltage - USA

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jan 4 12:45:43 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Jan 4, 2017, at 3:42 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>
>> Did the utility replace the damaged equipment?
>
> A friend lived in a building when the city crew working on a transformer put
> 440 on the line.  It blew out all the electronics in 12 condos - mostly TVs.
> I think toasters and refrigerators were OK.  There wasn't any question that
> the city was at fault.  I don't remember how much paperwork they had to go
> through to get reimbursed.  It might get sticky for something like a time-nut
> with a lot of used gear that may not be easy to replace at the original
> price.  (Could be a good excuse to clean up and start over.)
>
> How much trouble do hams have with their insurance companies?

<way off topic alert !!!>

In some cases quite a lot. They paid the claim and dropped us. The way
they did it, getting insurance again at a rational price ( < 5X what we had
been paying) was a major pain. We did find a rational company and have
been very happy with them for 40 years now. Each time the guys who
dropped us call to get us to switch, I tell them the story ….

Bob