[time-nuts] Temperature (environmental) sensors

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jan 5 20:40:59 UTC 2017

Yo jimlux!

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 12:21:44 -0800
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > http://www.pcsensor.com/usb-hygrometer/temperhum.html
>
> I'm kind of curious about their "UI".. hold CapsLock? how does this
> device manifest itself to the host computer? I saw a mention of HID,
> so it is emulating a keyboard?

It presents to the host OS as an HID/Keyboard,, but sends no data by
default.  I run it on Linux and use the following FOSS Python program to
read it:

https://github.com/padelt/temper-python

Looking at the Python code, a simple binary packet is sent to the
device and it returns a binary packet with the data.

I can't speak to how it works on anything but Linux.  I've never seen
the TEMPer interfere with anything.

RGDS                                                 Veritas liberabit vos
GARY                                                     Quid est veritas?
gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588