[time-nuts] hm H Maser

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 8 15:22:54 UTC 2017

Hi

I guess the question then would be:

Is a H Maser that runs 6.6 x 10^-12 at 1 second worth the trouble?

With 100 KHz / C temperature coefficients running around, getting
good stability in a real world setting at 1 day will be “interesting”.

Just for reference:  The MH-2010 data sheet shows 1.5x10^-13 at
1 second for the “cheap” version and 8x10^-14 at one second for
the low noise version.  Data showing the 5065 Rb at 1x10^-12 at
1 second is running around on various web sites.

The NIST paper suggests that they made several prototypes before
they got one good one working. That’s a lot of “fun and games” with
ceramic machine lathes and Rb magnetometers…..

The punch line being - would the same effort / cost / many years of time be more
fruitful (ADEV wise) doing a large package Rb (like a 5065) ?  Based on
the number of people making them in volume over the years, Rb’s appear to
be the easier item to debug, design, and build.

Bob