[time-nuts] FE-5650A option 58 tuning word for 10 MHz output

wb6bnq wb6bnq at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 09:48:26 UTC 2017

Hi Matt,

Well, after rereading Mark’s paragraph in question, I think he did not
properly develop his complete thoughts.  The first statement about the
Hydrogen Maser is absolute.  The second statement is the one that is
really vague.  The third statement is the clue taken with the fact that
the first sentence states the purpose of being used as a general purpose
programmable frequency synthesizer.

So the answer is leaving the C-field pot untouched and taking the
difference between the “R” value and the “needed” input frequency
associated with the current “F” value to produce the original output
frequency gives a correction term to be applied to the “R” value to
produce the value you use to come up with the new “F” value used for
determining the wanted output signal.

{After thought sentence} The above is not all that clear either, oh
well.  Read on it becomes clearer.

So lets go through the process and see if I can do this without screwing
up.  The formula for the DDS chip to produce a desired output for a
given system clock frequency is the following :

FTW (in decimal) = (Desired Output Frequency x 2^n) / SYSCLK

However, the need is to determine what the proper input frequency is to
produce the 8388608 Hz with the given “F” value as the FTW (Frequency
Tuning Word).  So the formula is the following:

SYSCLK = (Desired Output Frequency x 2^n) / FTW (in decimal)

In your reported numbers this produces :
first 2^32 = 4,294,967,296 times desired output of 8,388,608 Hz =
36,028,797,018,963,968

                         SYSCLK = (Desired Output Frequency x 2^n) / FTW
(in decimal)
50,255,055.809934059845495428970822 Hz = 36,028,797,018,963,968 / 716918854

So the above 50 MHz number (SYSCLK) is the result of adjusting the
C-field so the unit is “ON” frequency for the expected 1 Hz output from
the factory.  This is the SYSCLK value that should be used to find the
new “F” value for the DDS upon selecting a new output frequency such as
10 MHz (or as close as possible without touching the C-field) if that is
your wanted output value.

Actually, now that I have done the exercise, computing the delta between
the “R” value and the above 50 MHz makes no sense and serves no
purpose.  I cannot stress enough.  This is all predicated on not
touching the C-field adjustment and assuming the 1 Hz signal is
precisely on frequency.

This method does not give a lot of confidence as to preciseness.  The
real value in these Rb units is they have a much lower drift rate than a
reasonably good quality Quartz oscillator.  Typically less then parts in
10 to the minus 10th or minus 11th per month.

Bill....WB6BNQ