[time-nuts] hm H Maser

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 07:45:52 UTC 2017

drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> > It would be interesting to see your breakdown of the costs and man hours
> > for an H2 maser. I suspect that others would find cheaper/faster
solutions.

> $100M for the H2
>
> $25M for the Rb

With all due respect,  and I apprectiate you have a good knowledge of this
field, but that's not a breakdown of costs or man hours I wanted to see,
but a cost which appears to be plucked from the air.

There's a BIG difference between a volunteer effort where

* Salaries are not paid
* Items of test equipment are likely to be borrowed or people provide
access to them for no charge etc,
* Academics are likely to provide consultancy for free, in return for being
on papers published.
* Software licenses could probably be obtained free,  or enough people get
trials.

compared to a commercial company building a maser where

* Salaries are paid
* All equipment is purchased new
* Bench power supplies with 3.5 digit displays are sent out for calibration
each year.
*  No outside body will do anything except at a commercial rate.
* Flights are booked for meetings which could be done over the Internet.
* High end software licenses are huge.

> $500M for the fountain.

But on what basis do you arrive at that figure?

> To get sponsorship for anything remotely close to those numbers, you
> need to have some massively good credentials.
>
> Bob

Yes agreed at $500M. But someone like Tom, who does have massively good
credentials, could perhaps get $500,000, and perhaps that wisely spent
could get a fountain built.  Without knowing how you arrive at $500M, it is
not possible for anyone to look at ways of shaving that cost.

The Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank in the UK was built on a shoestring
budget. It was at the time the world's  largest steerable radio telephone.
Half a century later only 2 larger ones have been built.

Maybe I am too nieve.

Dave.