[time-nuts] hm H Maser

Ole Petter Ronningen opronningen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 14:15:25 UTC 2017

Not sure how relevant that particular example is. PHM on Galileo was new
science (at least the sapphire loaded cavity), and *very* different
reliability engineering.

AHM's are nothing new, the science hace been done, the construction is
known, down to exact drawings and circuit diagrams. There are numbers from
1982 that can possibly be used as a startingpoint for estimating an amateur
project in https://library.nrao.edu/public/memos/vlba/main/VLBA_65.pdf

As a side note, I am also not convinced that sourcing the fused quartz
teflon coated bulbs would be a show stopper for a limited number (<5) of
masers, I for one have one on my shelf. It is quite possible that old bulbs
for previous designs exists with the current manufacturers that they might
be willing to part with.

They are also still manufactured, Vremya or one of the others might be
willing to sell them - although I have no idea about the cost.

As another side note, on a trip to Switzerland I was allowed a glimpse of a
couple of the PHM's for Galileo in person. Impressive.

Ole