[time-nuts] hm H Maser

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 11 03:43:05 UTC 2017

A  spherical cavity resonator with a spherical Rubidium cell configured as an integrating sphere (to enhance the SNR of the optical absorption signal) is a potential option. Its also possible to use the same cell to lock a 795 nm laser to the desired wavelength. Fiber coupling the laser light could also be useful.Note that with an integrating sphere (or any other random scattering process eg scattering from colloidal particles undergoing Brownian motion) laser polarisation isn't preserved which may be convenient.One potential issue with an  integrating sphere is the longevity of the diffusing coating (typically Barium sulphate with an organic binder). Roughening (fine grind  followed by HF etch for stress relief) the outer surface of the cell is also advisable to eliminate light pipe effects in the cell wall.
Bruce