[time-nuts] wifi with time sync

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Sat Jan 14 19:38:17 UTC 2017

Sorry as this is perhaps a bit off topic but I've tried to make this somewhat time nuts relevant.

Over the years I found ping tests have worked quite well (at least on WAN links) to roughly measure network bandwidth.  When I used to visit remote sites with WAN links I would often perform several ping tests with different payload sizes, average the results for each payload size, then use the difference in ping times for different payload sizes to calculate the available WAN bandwidth.  The calculated bandwidth was typically close enough to the actual bandwidth that I was later asked to demonstrate this "procedure" by people who maintained the networks.

It also worked fairly well on "wifi type" networks as well.

I do understand that ping traffic may or may not be handled differently than other network traffic but at least in my experience the results of ping tests were useful.   As usual the experience of others may differ and I can understand why this technique may not always work well.

To relate this somewhat to time nuts it might be of interest to collect this type of data and see how consistent the difference is for round trip times with pings with a small payload and a large payload over a given network path.

One also needs to be aware of TCP Window sizes and allowable network packet sizes when picking the payload sizes for this type of test.

BTW I was shown this basic technique at an industry seminar a few decades ago but in my experience it seems to have fallen out of common use these days.

All the best
Mark Spencer