[time-nuts] Li-ion Battreries

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Jan 22 15:44:27 UTC 2017

Just a quiet message that needs to be said:

18650 style LiIon cells are indeed one of the most common
styles of LiIon cells, but with their popularity comes a
great deal of fraudulent sales activity.

The 18650 cells are used in all sorts of trendy gadgets, like
the vape appliences for niccotine addicts, over powered green
laser pointers, and vibrators for... well... urhmm...ahhh, I can't
say....<blush>.

I went on a quest to try to buy 18650 cells for cheap prices,
and then tested them on my Christie CASP battery charger/tester,
and I found that I could buy the things wrapped with the labels
of Samsung, Sanyo, UltraFire, PowerSonic, and probably a dozen
other brands, labeled with 3000 through 9800mAH capacities.

In testing, I found two things.  If the batteries came from
eBay, or Amazon, they would weigh between 1/3 and 1/2 as much
as the manufacturer's spec sheets said they would, and they
would test at between 400 and 500mAH.  And that was with allowing
them to discharge until their internal protection circuitry
shut them down... in other words to an unsafe level.

So, the moral of my story is know your sources, and do test
every one... a twist on the old saying: Don't trust but verify.

I quit the project, as I feared that the high number of items
I was declaring as counterfeit for refund, would soon catch up
with me and render me unfit for ebay and Amazon purchases.

The safest, surest supply I have found is discarded laptop
batteries for Dell computers.  Bust them apart, and you will
find that all but one of the cells is in good condition.  The
one bad cell can almost always be resurrected by charging it
manually to 4.2V at less than 1C current.

Note, they won't have the protection circuitry installed as part
of the cell, but you can buy that part on eBay with pretty good
results..

-Chuck Harris