[time-nuts] Li-ion Battreries

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 19:05:46 UTC 2017

I'm using Lithium batteries too.   Button for everything.   For stationary
lab bench use where AC mains is available and all I want is back up our the
lead/acid gel cells work fine.  They are cheap, large and heavy and will
take abuse and don't normally catch fire.

For the mobile devices that I like to build nothing beats Lithium
batteries.   I've been using the kind sold for use on remote controlled
drone aircraft.   They have incredible power density and low cost.  Their
biggest down side (an advantage to me) is their lack of consumer
appropriate packaging.  The cells are only shrink wrapped and are easy to
damage.  I change them with a programable "balanced" charger that is
commonly used by hobbyists.

I have found that YES you can start a fire from carelessly handing Lithium
batteries.  You do have to understand how to use them and keep them
packaged such that they remain safe even if they fail or (more likely) you
make some mistake.   I keep them in fire proof glass fiber/silicone
envelopes then inside a tightly close steel "ammo box".     When in use
they are installed in the mobil device I built in a metal compartment (I
use those old fashion Japanese lunch boxes, they are like Tupperware but
made completely of metal)

Get these batteries at any of the Hobby supply outlets (NOT eBay, lots of
fakes there.)
Here is just one example of the last set I bought
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-4000mah-4s1p-20c.html

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California