[time-nuts] purpose of time of day display units

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 02:11:17 UTC 2017

I have done something similar to one of my cars so that, for example, an
LED that tells me when the a/c compressor's electric clutch cycles on and
off. Things like this are partly eye candy, partly educational (things
don't always work quite like I assume they do), and partly a valuable
diagnostic tool when something breaks.

Jeremy

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> jimlux at earthlink.net said:
>
> > 3) It's a crude visual check - your eye/brain is pretty good at
> catching  a
>
> > change in the pattern of blinky lights.  IN this situation, you'd  expect
>
> > all the displays to change simultaneously.
>

> Is there a term similar to "eye candy" for geeks?
>

> Many years ago, I designed network gear.  That was back when a controller
> was
>
> a board full of small and medium sized chips rather than a single big chip.
>
> I always put a few LEDs on the board wired up where the microcode could get
>
> at them.  Most of the time they were just eye candy.  But occasionally I
>
> would borrow one and hack the microcode so a LED would be interesting on a
>
> scope.
>

> --
>
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

> --