[time-nuts] purpose of time of day display units

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 05:03:04 UTC 2017

I do stuff like that too.   I always like to use an I2C connected LCD
display while developing code on any micro processor project.  I might take
the actual LCD off at the end but I always leave the signal pins in place.
I might need to debug the device again some time and then I can find
another display.  I see a lot of this in commercial products, for example a
USB connection on the back of my TV, only for diagnostic use.

Same with "heartbeat" LEDs, they let you know the device is cycling through
its main pressing loop and not hung.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Is there a term similar to "eye candy" for geeks?
>
> Many years ago, I designed network gear.  That was back when a controller
> was
> a board full of small and medium sized chips rather than a single big chip.
> I always put a few LEDs on the board wired up where the microcode could get
> at them.  Most of the time they were just eye candy.  But occasionally I
> would borrow one and hack the microcode so a LED would be interesting on a
> scope.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson