[time-nuts] Thermal effects on cables

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 13:26:27 UTC 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 06:52, Ole Petter Ronningen <opronningen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> The question of phase shifts in cables pops up every now and then on this
> list - I stumbled across a good table of measured phase shifts with
> temperature in different cable types in this paper:
> http://www.ira.inaf.it/eratec/gothenburg/presentations/ERATEC_2014_
> PresentationWSchaefer.pdf
> that I though would be of interest to others.

I've like to know how VNA cables compare. They are expensive enough - a
couple of cables around 600 mm long (24") for my VNA are over $5000. They
are much larger diameter than normal cables, but much more flexible too.
The construction is obviously very different. Since mine are designed for
use to 26.5 GHz, the internal diameter of the outer conductor can be no
more than a couple of mm, yet the overall cable has a diameter of about 15
mm.

Dave