[time-nuts] Thermal effects on cables

REEVES Paul Paul.Reeves at uk.thalesgroup.com
Wed Jan 25 10:59:43 UTC 2017

Hi Attila,

I quite agree, I should have remembered that.... but I tend to use fairly small coax anyway at those frequencies as a matter of course and it didn't register as something that needed saying. My fault!
It can be quite difficult to get people to notice the difference between SMA and 3.5mm - I have often had to repeatedly remind some of our test technicians of the difference as they tend to think they are interchangeable with the unfortunate results you describe :-(    It is just as well that the 3.5mm cal kit for the HP8510 (still a fine VNA, if lacking a few of the new bells and whistles) is a work of art with DTIs for checking the mechanical setup of the connectors - they are not just for show!

Regards,

Paul Reeves