[time-nuts] How good is the left end of your ADEV curve?

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 00:46:36 UTC 2017

First, a picky - but important - point. There is a difference between
"gravity waves" and "gravitational waves". When you go to the beach and
watch the waves crash on the shore, that's an example of a gravity wave.

Now, onto the far more interesting topic of gravitational waves and my pet
topic, pulsars.

Pulsars most likely give off gravitational waves. The rotate at a rate
anywhere from 1/12 Hz to 716 Hz. The brightest (in a radio sense) and one
of the closest pulsars is the Vela pulsar which rotates at 11.18677266 Hz
(as of a few days back). This frequency is in the sensitivity bands of
Advanced LIGO and Advanced VIRGO, but the gravitational waves from Vela are
probably too "faint" to be detected. But there is still no harm in trying.

Jim Palfreyman