[time-nuts] J06 HP-59992A time interval calibrator for HP-531xx counters

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jul 9 13:10:53 UTC 2017

Hi

A splitter with a phase error of < 1 degree at exactly 10 MHz is pretty simple to build. It’s mostly
a matter of how much you want to spend on the splitter. Network analyzers can be calibrated to
measure it. You can poke at a part to get it “right”. The same thing is true on phase shifters. As
you add up mismatch errors things get a bit weird, but it’s a single frequency not broadband.
This is the old HP buying parts for a calibrator. Who knows what the budget was, or how much
thought went into it.

Bob