[time-nuts] Papers on timing for lunar laser ranging

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Jul 12 19:27:38 UTC 2017

2 items:

1) I ran across another link related to lunar timing. Last year Carroll Alley died (89). To me he's famous for his cesium and H-maser relativity experimence in the 1970's. But he was also the PI for the Apollo Lunar Laser Ranging Retroreflector experiments. More info here:

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/features/21jul_llr.html

http://umdphysics.umd.edu/about-us/news/department-news/1128-carroll-alley-june-13-1927-february-24-2016.html#!Alley_Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Retroreflector_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_Alley

2) That second link above has some wonderful photos.

http://umdphysics.umd.edu/images/igallery/resized/1-100/Alley_Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Retroreflector_1-99-700-300-100-c.jpg

Spot the Austron 1250A, Sulzer 2.5, and GenRad(?) quartz frequency standards. Anyone recognize more gear?

/tvb