[time-nuts] DS3231 drift over a year

Craig Kirkpatrick craigk46 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 16:36:43 UTC 2017

I set a DS3231 to correct time of WWVB in January 2017 and it has not gained or lost one second in over six months!

The clock chip is part of a project board that I have running on power during the day and powered off overnight meaning that for about half the day the DS3231 is keeping time using just the watch cell backup battery. Temperatures have varied in the range of 60F to about 85F.

This performance is impressive for an Integrated circuit chip costing under ten dollars.

I bought a second DS3231 and I'm thinking of a simple experiment project to compare two of the chips and how they drift relative to each other just for fun.

Best Wishes,
Craig K.