[time-nuts] WWVB & Eclipse

Graham planophore at aei.ca
Sat Jul 15 01:04:05 UTC 2017

I have a CSI MBX-3 DGPS beacon receiver that I have been playing around
with lately. It works quite well and I have a very basic shell of a
program written in python to control it and get some basic performance
details of it's MF receiver but so far still trying to get anything out
of the binary RTCM data stream.

At the least I will be able to collect beacon signal strength and SNR.
Of course the data shows the expected diurnal variation. At the very
least I will be able to monitor this aspect of the effect of eclipse
before, during, and after.

I would like to be able to extract the data within binary data stream
and am slowly working my way the RTKLIB apps in an effort to do so. My
objective is peripherally related to time nuttery but more so directed
towards radio propagation and space weather.

If anyone has already gone down this path, please point me in the right
direction.

There is an interesting project run through the University of New
Brunswick called CHAIN - Canadian High Arctic Ionospheric Network. CHAIN
uses high data rate GNSS Ionospheric Scintillation and Total electron
content monitors plus advanced digital ionosondes to collect their data.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc