[time-nuts] 5370B Input Board Repair [WAS: 5370B Question / help needed]

Thomas Allgeier th.allgeier at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 08:41:25 UTC 2017

Hello All Again,

I’ve got my 5370B going now and in the process made a “discovery” which I thought might be worth sharing:

The A3 input board is a through-hole PCB with a few SMD capacitors and resistors on the reverse of the “switch area”. It turns out that on my 5370 (2410A00777) these components are not soldered, but fitted with conductive adhesive. I first thought it was solder with a black coating but under a microscope it is clear that it is not solder at all. Most probably it is a mixture of epoxy and silver particles, or a similar compound. So no going over joints with a fine iron…

Inspecting all this carefully under the microscope I discovered that the “joints” on 2 resistors (R23 and R56) had cracked. As you know this board gets heat from the hybrid amplifier IC’s and due to the way the board is mounted to the front panel I guess it sees thermal stressing when the instrument warms up and cools down. While this obviously lasts a long time it looks that on my unit the adhesive has eventually cracked in places. (Vigorous switch activation and pressing / pulling on the switch handles also won’t be helpful in this respect…) One of the resistors just fell off at the slightest touch with fine tweezers.

Anyhow, after removing the offending components, cleaning the pads of the adhesive, and soldering replacements in place, we have a perfect 99.9x ns with the 10 MHz on the commoned inputs. Happy days!

So if any of your 5370’s have the kind of intermittent fault I described (and one or two other people seem to have reported) or instability that seems to originate from the A3 board – check the joints around the SMD’s.

I wonder why / how it ended up having the adhesive instead of solder – were earlier / later instruments the same, or was this a build change introduced at a certain period?

Hope the above is of help to somebody else,

Thomas.

Message: 1