[time-nuts] Cross-correlatiion workshop at EFTF-IFCS-2017

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Sat Jul 22 22:29:58 UTC 2017

A similar topic is in

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7138792/

73 de Ulrich

In a message dated 7/22/2017 6:15:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org writes:

Fellow  time-nuts,

I thought that I should write a few lines about the  EFTF-IFCS, so a good
start would be the Cross-correlation workshop which  is about addressing
the complexities of the cross-correlation measurement  and achieving
stable and proper measurements. This session was curated by  Prof. Enrico
Rubiola of femtosecond and Craig Nelson of NIST.

OK,  for those that don't know about the issue, let me get a quick
explanation  here. For a long time cross-correlation have been a
technique to remove  the internal noise of two, by feeding the source
into two channels using a  power-splitter, and then each channel add its
noise which is uncorrelated.  The cross-correlation of the channels then
sees the common signal and as  one average over multiple spectrums the
uncorrelated signals average out.  Sounds splendid, but trouble showed up
on the horizon when they had  trouble getting stable readings from
measurement to measurement as the  noise starts to reach the thermal
noise floor. Some measurements where  about 20 dB below the noise floor,
some where about the noise floor, but  there was a dip in the response.
As one look closer on historic  measurements using cross-correlation it's
been there for ages, since the  measurement method started to be used.
Looking closer on it, it looks like  the thermal noise flips from 300 K
to -300K and the "dip" is where the  noise goes through zero. Oups!

In 2015 there was a similar workshop, at  that workshop Joe Gorin
contributed an explanation for where the  anti-correlated noise was
generated. In a Wilkinson splitter, the power is  divided into two ports.
However, to achieve isolation between the ports, a  resistor of twice the
impedance is needed, i.e. 100 Ohm. It just happens  that the noise that
generates is two times the noise of the source, and it  is completely
anti-correlated, thus subtracting. OK, great, now we know  why it breaks
this way. What to do about it? At NIST Archita Hati and  Craig Nelson
where pulling their hair and at the FSM8 conference in  Potsdam, Archita
presented a poster which was interesting exercise in  failure to solve
the problem with a whole range of splitters, including a  Wilkinson where
they out of desperation had pulled the resistor, and still  it was
problematic. During late evening discussions over wine at FSM8 we  had
the most interesting discussions. Good teachings where had for  everyone
involved.

At EFTF 2016 in York, I met with Craig and  Archita to discuss some
ideas, which they tried and found useful and  presented by Archita at
IFCS 2016 in New Orleans a month later. My  contribution was to ask about
what isolation gives us, and it turns out  that lack of isolation causes
channel noise to back-propagate and reach  the other channel, being now
correlated noise between the channels and  then acting as correlated
noise, with a complex response after FFT  depending on the delay between
the channels. Given that the source noise  pops up on the real axis due
to equal distance to the channels, insertion  of variable delays allows
one to steer the vector of the channel noise  onto the imaginary axises
where it as a secondary effect collapses as they  cancel. Sound great
huh? Yeah, in theory, but it is hard to balance this  to maintain the
full property for the length of the full measurement, but  at least some
attempt on it.

Now, with that back-story it was time  for another workshop on
cross-correlation at the EFTF-IFCS-2017 in  Besancon. Enrico asked for my
contribution, so I volunteered to  contribute. We ended up being some
30-40 people in the room, with people  like Dave Leeson present.

A variety of presentations where made,  illustrating the width of
different insights. NoiseXT showed a source that  could generated AM and
PM noise, in hope that it could prove useful in  provoking different
scenarios and be useful to illustrate AM-to-PM  conversion for instance.
Jason Breibarth of Hollingsworth presented an  array of cases where
AM-to-PM was evident. Enrico presented an approach to  estimate the
removed noise and simply add it back. Mike Driscoll discussed  the
potential of doing a different approach with mixers for higher  amplitude
level. Sam Stein made some good comments about how their  equipment was
built and pointed out some difficulties they had ran into,  such as the
cross-AVAR needed to avoid the flipping sine. Also, the data  as
presented out for post processing is a different decimation path than
what is used for internal processing since, well, it was difficult to
have them so close.

As for myself, I made the point that even with  ideal splitter, isolation
is broken when noise from channels is reflected  on the source, as some
sources have far from flat 50 Ohm impedance,  something that is known to
be the case for some sources being troublesome  to measure. Similar to
the other cross-talk problem, it will create a  partial collapse of the
spectrum. My slides can be sent if anyone cares to  have them, I will
upload them to my server.

As of this day, there  is no real answer of how to do all this, we have
multiple research groups  and vendors seriously scratching their head on
this one, but it is really  amazing to be sitting on on this as
observations and solutions are being  tried. We now know better that we
have a myriad of issues causing  phase-noise readings to be of the mark,
and some claim to be even  non-physical. So, there is real research being
done in what we used to  consider a well-researched area, namely
phase-noise measurements. This is  one tough cookie to crack.

Hope it was an interesting  read.

Cheers,
Magnus