[time-nuts] A look inside the DS3231

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Thu Jul 27 20:21:28 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017, at 09:31 PM, Pete Stephenson wrote:
[...]
> Based on a sample size of one and the markings on the die itself, it
> appears the chip is authentic. The markings on the outside of the epoxy
> package look a bit dubious and not like typical Maxim laser-markings, so
> it's possible the chip was re-labeled at some point. I'll contact Maxim
> to see if they can look up the lot information.
[...]

Hi all,

Quick follow-up: I contacted Maxim to see if the chips were authentic,
and their very pleasant customer support people verified that the
markings and appearance of the chip are consistent with their records
for that year and lot number. That's a good thing.

They also reminded me that they only offer a warranty/guarantee on
products purchased either directly from them or from authorized
resellers. Asian auction-site vendors are not authorized resellers, so
please don't use products from such sources for Serious Business(tm).

Cheers!
-Pete

--
Pete Stephenson