[time-nuts] HP5061B Versus HP5071 Cesium Line Frequencies

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jun 3 00:12:05 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Jun 2, 2017, at 7:45 PM, Donald E. Pauly <trojancowboy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-May/105566.html <https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-May/105566.html>

Ok, so yet again a reference to the start of this thread … why?

> Electronic thermal coolers did not exist then so it could not be done.
> Electronic temperature sensors did not exist either.

I guess they must have just dreamed up the pelter devices they used. FYI, they have
been around since 1834 (no that’s not a typo).

>  That crystal cut
> has been known since the 1940's at least.

And once you get away from an AT or SC, how much is known about the mode spectra of
the cut ….

>  It has been neglected
> because of limited temperature range. It yields ±1 ppm over a range of
> ±20° C from 25° C.  A slightly different angle of cut can yield ±250
> ppb over that range. (4:1 improvement) Contrast that with a normal AT
> cut which yields ±9 ppm over that range.

Umm …. errr … it’s quite easy to get a +/- 2 ppm 0-50C AT cut *including* the tolerance
on the cut angle.

> I built an oven with an Analog Devices temperature sensor 20 years
> ago.  I did not have time to incorporate foam insulation.  The heater
> power was not available to run it at 65° C without insulation.  It had
> to run at 40° C and it would hold about 1 ppb over a few hours.   It
> would hold the crystal within 0.01° or so but it was far away from the
> turnover temperature.   Convection currents cause problems.  It
> convinced me that ovens were headaches.   Thermal coolers remove most
> of these.

I’d suggest you try a few more experiments with real crystals in real applications.

Bob