[time-nuts] Temperature sensors and quartz crystals (was: HP5061B Versus HP5071 Cesium Line Frequencies)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jun 5 11:41:46 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Jun 5, 2017, at 7:30 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 01:18:59 +0100
> Adrian Godwin <artgodwin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Where do digital sensors (e.g. ds1820 and some more recent parts from TI)
>> fit into this ?
>
> AFAIK, these are all band-gap temperature sensors. But unlike a discrete
> sensor, you have the problem that they only contain a low resolution
> ADC on die (somewhere between 8 and 14 bit). If your goal is to measure
> temperature and report it with an accuracy of about 1°C, then these are
> the easiest to use sensors you can buy. Sensor noise doesn't really matter
> with them, as it is dominated by the low ADC resolution. I don't have any
> long term stability data on those, but given their use-case I do not think
> that they are very stable.

Based on using them in a lot of designs, they are indeed quite stable. They are not
going to rival a thermistor or an RTD, but compared to their resolution they are stable.
Put another way, if they read out at the (say) 0.5 C level, you can come back a year later
and the temperature repeats at < the 0.5 C level.

None of this is simple or straightforward. All temperature sensors have a sensitivity
to strain. They all exhibit some level of hysteresis.  That can make aging measurements
a bit challenging.

Bob