[time-nuts] Temperature sensors and quartz crystals (was: HP5061B Versus HP5071 Cesium Line Frequencies)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jun 6 05:13:28 UTC 2017

--------
In message <CANX10hA776Qb1Y_j+t7MCAwSN6Vrp0veLv5K13HhS6kdda9Spg at mail.gmail.com>
, "Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)" writes:

>I can't find it now, but I know someone said thermocouples are obsolete. I
>spoke to a friend tonight who services industrial boilders. He said
>thermocouples are far from obsolesce, at temperatures of a few hundred deg
>C, as nothing else works.

Thermocouples are not obsolete.

If nothing else because they are cheap and can be made on the spot and
in all sorts of weird shapes.

The only thing which competes with thermocouples in high temperature
is platinum, which is horribly expensive by comparison and more
prone to noise than thermocouples.