[time-nuts] uC ADC resolution (was: Poor man's oven)

Logan Cummings logan.cummings at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 03:55:06 UTC 2017

Hi Folks,

   This discussion of temperature measurement with ADCs has crossed into my
professional life and without being too much of a commercial plug just
wanted to mention that I support Linear Technology's temp-to-bits family of
ICs: LTC2983, LTC2984, LTC2986.

   Overview: each part has 3 24-bit delta-sigma ADCs along with low leakage
input buffers, excitation sources, an internal mux, and a small
linearization engine. They can measure just about any type of temperature
sensor and digitize it to deg C or F with really good accuracy. Ultimately
accuracy will depend on the sensor, your implementation, environmental
conditions, etc. but the parts have a lot of features that help you get the
most out of a given sensor.

   They aren't super cheap (Digi-Key pricing is particularly bad, if you
can order from Linear direct it's much better) but they are to my knowledge
by far the simplest way to interface to a thermistor, RTD, thermocouple,
etc. and get <1degC accuracy.

Ping me off-list if you want to know more or have an application question
in mind.

-Logan
http://www.linear.com/product/LTC2983