[time-nuts] Poor man's oven

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jun 8 10:55:07 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 2:18 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

> kb8tq at n1k.org said:
>> The crystal enclosure may (or may not … who knows ..) be back filled with a
>> low level of helium. It does not take much of a backfill for conduction
>> inside the crystal holder to dominate the heat transfer vs radiation
>> transfer.
>
> How does that compare with conduction through the mounting?

That depends a bit on the package (HC-6 vs TO-5 etc).  The number of blank
mount points gets into it (2 point vs 3 vs 4 vs who knows). The thickness of the
mount is the last thing I can think of on the list.

A tab mounted rectangular blank will have a *lot* of mount conduction. A 2 point
spring mounted HC-6, not so much.

The simple answer is that the backfill is done because it does matter in a lot of
cases.

Bob