[time-nuts] backfill

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Jun 9 21:08:37 UTC 2017

Poul-Henning wrote:

> Next down the line is hydrogen, which comes with a shitload of issues.

No argument there.  But other methods all have their own shitloads -- it
just depends on which shitload the designers dislike the least.

> you will find little love for hydrogen cooling [today]
>
> In 1993 Siemens put the first 170MVA air-cooled generator optimized
> by computer simulations of the flow-fields and since then
> hydrogen cooling has been confined to an ever-decreasing top tier
> of name-plate power.

Certainly there are other ways, and hydrogen cooling may have decreased
in popularity in the decades since I was paying attention (I consulted
for a turbine generator manufacturer in the late '80s). But there are
lots of hydrogen-cooled alternators in service, and it appears that they
are still being built.

Best regards,

Charles