[time-nuts] GPS discipline oscillator vs phase lock

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jun 16 22:36:48 UTC 2017

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:29:31 -0400
Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> > Well, we still don't know what the requirements are.
>

> …. well, we do. A requirement of 0.1 degree at 100 MHz was stated earlier on.
> That’s where the ps stuff comes in.

Yes, that's _a_ requirement. Not _the_ requirement.

It's like marketing saying we need a 32bit ADC resolution.
Yes, we can do that. No, the ADC will not deliver 32bit
and it doesn't need to either.

Without knowing what the application is, it is very hard
to say whether the 0.1 degree is just a number out of thin
air or really a requirement of the system.

			Attila Kinali

--
You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to