[time-nuts] The clocks at Windsor Castle, UK

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 01:05:52 UTC 2017

The clocks at Windsor range from C14 wooden-geared pieces to French
masterpieces of haute horlogerie with multiple complications including
perpetual calendars, sidereal time, equation of time, true local solar
time, date of Easter, various star charts and astronomical data, orreries,
animated figures and other automata. The more exotic and delicate of these
are not run continually but are started up periodically to test their
operation and when the Royals wish to demonstrate them to guests.

On Friday, June 16, 2017, jim stephens <jwsmail at jwsss.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/2017 3:31 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> They have been a novelty item just about as long as people have made
>> clocks.
>> Exactly what they do or do not have for adjustment capability would be
>> very much
>> a “that depends” kind of thing. There must be some method of getting the
>> beast
>> up to sync. It *could* be pretty involved.
>>
>> Bob
>>
> My father and I were @ a Costco quite some time ago and there was a very
> nice clock with full Westminster chimes & moon phase. Drove the wife nuts
> that we stood around fiddling with it to get it set properly and back in
> phase with the other dials.
>
> One of those things that sticks in your gut sometimes if you're a time
> nut.  My dad was my original time nut.  He found out that he could take
> pocket watches apart when he was a kid and get them running again (1930s).
>
> Fathers Day plug as well.  Miss him a lot
> thanks
> Jim

>>> I haven't worked with that sort of clock.  I would expect they would have
>>> some mechanism to set the clock back without damaging things.  Do they?
>>>

>>> --
>>> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

>> and follow the instructions there.

William H Fite, PhD