[time-nuts] GPS splitter

Clay Autery cautery at montac.com
Sat Jun 17 03:54:25 UTC 2017

This brings up some interesting questions:

If sharing an active GPS antenna, do you have to DC block all but one
receiver port to prevent multiple receivers trying to supply current to
the antenna?

On say a 26dB antenna (ignoring line loss, power divider insertion loss,
et al), what is the effective gain to each receiver?  (Sorry, having a
senior moment)

Should ALL unused ports have 50 ohm +/- 0j terminators on them?  I
assume so...  Thus, it would be "better" to always use the divider with
the minimum required ports?

I am assuming since this is a receive only situation, it will follow
approximately the same rules of physics that dealing with satellite
antenna installations.

I would LIKE to share one PC-TEL 26dB GPS antenna mounted at the top of
my 38 foot horiz.loop mast right  at the shack entrance, using
LMR-400-DB from antenna to Narda 2-way and thence to my current hacked
Nortel GPSDO and my soon to be complete RPi 2/3 w/ Adafruit Ultimate GPS
Hat NTP Server.  On that mast, the antenna would have a near 360 degree
view of the sky completely unobstructed.  (Eventually, I expect both of
those units to be replaced with commercial units).

I'm assuming that I DC block whichever unit is capable of providing the
LEAST current at 5VDC...  I suspect the Nortel unit can supply more
current than the RPi, but that's not a guarantee...  And I guess I could
block/turn off DC delivery on BOTH units and add a voltage adjustable,
current limiting DC injection unit into the line.

Thanks.

73,

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises