[time-nuts] GPS splitter

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 16:07:19 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Clay Autery <cautery at montac.com> wrote:

> This brings up some interesting questions:
>

> I am assuming since this is a receive only situation, it will follow
> approximately the same rules of physics that dealing with satellite
> antenna installations.

And guess what?  Satellite TV splitters work.  They even have the answer to
"how much attenuation" printed right on the splitter and they come with F
type connecters you can use the recommended TV type antenna cable too.
You can buy them with DC blockers too.  All this stuff is low cost because
it is mass produced  by the billions

Yes, it's 75 ohm not 50 and the splitters a 2+ GHz but it works just fine
if your antenna has the right gain. The splitters don't high pass the
signal.    Trimble actually recommends using the 75 Ohm TV cable and
supplies it with their kits.

Sometimes a GPS receiver will raise an "Antenna Alarm" if it does not see a
DC load but you can turn those off with a serial command
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California