[time-nuts] GPScon running on Raspberry Pi 3b

Olgierd Dudko sq5old at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 20:42:20 UTC 2017

Hi Michel,
I installed Wine (Windows compatibility layer) within the ExaGear.
After the installation of the ExaGear on a Raspberry Pi one gets a new icon on the desktop that just starts a session of Debian-8. Trying command "$ arch" returns "i686" ....beauty!
What I did (within this Debian session) was:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade (- this returned couple of warnings/errors mainly in the area of certificates updating - nothing critical I suppose)
And just $ sudo apt-get install wine ...did the trick.

Try then:
$ wine --version
$ wine start
For the first time, Wine dowloaded itself some extra .Net emulation as well as Internet Explorer (Gecko) module.

One needs also to create a sybolic link in ~/.wine/dosdevices to enable the serial port for Windows (assuming e.g. the FTDI driver recognised it on the Raspbian level):
$ ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Note ExaGear offers three day trial for free. Let me add a quote from an Eltechs email:
"The best way to get the trial is to install it directly from Raspberry Pi repository. For that, you have to open the command line and input two simple commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install exagear-desktop

After the installation you need to run 'exagear' command and fill in the pop-up form to get trial license key."

I believe that having a native GPS monitoring software on a Raspberry Pi instead of PC would become a game changer. My GPScon has been working flawlessly for few days now.
Good luck!

Olgierd