[time-nuts] Power Pole connectors, was =>Re: Charles Wenzel GPSDO

Graham planophore at aei.ca
Thu Jun 22 12:36:44 UTC 2017

I first ran into Power Pole connectors over 20 years ago. They were
marketed by someone (I forget who) to the fledgling radio control
electric plane/car/boat communities. The advertisements had some wording
to the effect of "triple silver plated" and other techno babel. They
worked well in this application, good power handling, low contact
resistance, quick plug and play, polarized (etc). They sold under the
brand name of Sermos but were really just Anderson Power Pole connectors.

Amateur radio operators discovered them sometime later and for much the
same reasons they too started to adapt and use them. It is the same kind
of discussion as VHS vs Betamax, popular choice is not always driven by
real merit.

There is some history on the Anderson web page:

http://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/about/corporate-history.aspx

It seems to me that the Power Pole connectors were never really intended
for use in way that the RC crowd and radio amateurs tend to use them.
They work, there are better choices, and there are far worse choices.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc