[time-nuts] Anderson PowerPole (was Charles Wenzel GPSDO)

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Thu Jun 22 15:35:31 UTC 2017

For amateur radio use I've never perceived power poles as offering enough of an advantage over most other power connectors to make me willing to change my other connectors for power poles.  I do own some equipment that came with factory installed power pole connectors and I'm generally ok with how they work.   Some other amateur radio operators have expressed surprise at my extensive use of non power pole connectors and the use of power poles does seem common in the amateur radio world.

For time nuts and amateur radio use I've been quite happy with the multi pin circular "cannon" style connectors.  That would be my typical choice for a "high end" power connector for my various hobbies.  At the "low end" I'm happy with two pin "trailer" style connectors but in my experience they are generally only available in "pig tail" form.   Both the "cannon" style and "trailer" style connectors are readily available to me  as "over the counter" items which plays a major role in my affinity towards them.

Where I used to work "Deutch" connectors were very popular and those are also available to me as an "over the counter" item.  I expect I'll start using those at some point as well and will probably switch out the bulk of my "trailer" style connectors for Detch connectors.

I can also see some merit in using XLR style connectors in some applications.   I strongly dislike the use of "phono plugs" and PL259 connectors for power supply applications.

All the best

Mark Spencer

mark at alignedsolutions.com