[time-nuts] Anderson PowerPole (was Charles Wenzel GPSDO)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 22 19:04:37 UTC 2017

On 6/22/17 7:37 AM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Thu, June 22, 2017 7:40 am, Mike Seguin wrote:
>> For anything critical, I use these connector from the professional sound
>> industry.
>> http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/
>
> Neutrik make a variant specifically created for power connections instead
> of speaker connections.  I think they are essentially the same style
> design but with different color coding to make them stand out from speaker
> connections.  I don't know if the contact plating may be different, or the
> spacing different so it can handle higher voltages. Ground mates first
> before the two power pins (three pin instead of the four pin Speakon).  UL
> listed for up to 250V AC.
>
> http://www.neutrik.com/en/powercon-20a/

Most important, the power and speaker connectors are NOT intermateable.
The little tabs and notches are different.

In the movie biz, the 4 pin XLR is pretty standard for 12 and 24VDC
battery packs. It's been almost 20 years, so I don't remember the pinout.

The 3 pin XLR is a pretty good sized pin that can take a lot of current.
  The 4 pin is smaller, and the 5 pin is really pretty small.

The XLR is nice and rugged (although not waterproof, it can be made so),
and it tolerates being driven over or stepped on, and it locks. The
chassis mount is fairly small (not much bigger than a Anderson PP with
chassis mount housing/bracketry)