[time-nuts] TDF (Was Re: RFDO - Experience and questions)

Pieter-Tjerk de Boer p.t.deboer at utwente.nl
Tue Mar 7 20:49:35 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 05:37:54PM +0100, emmanuel.fuste--- via time-nuts wrote:

> Here you have bulletin H from Observatoire de Paris (responsible for SYRTE and IERS/ICRS,IRTS)
> https://syrte.obspm.fr/tfc/temps/outgoing_data/laboTAF/bulH/
> And here the monitoring of the TDF162 signal from Observatoire de Paris.
> https://syrte.obspm.fr/tfc/temps/outgoing_data/france_inter/

Interesting!

> I was looking for real interest from times-nuts for TDF162 for a long time ! Here we are.

Well, I did post to time-nuts about TDF162's handling of the leapsecond back
in early January, concluding that it was inserted a minute too early.
See https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-January/103083.html
with a more detailed analysis added later at the bottom of http://pa3fwm.nl/signals/leapsecond-2016/ .

Unfortunately, a person at CFHM that I managed to contact about this, wasn't
interested in looking at my data and insisted the leapsecond had been handled
correctly.
I don't know who is right; one could argue that TDF's specification is not
totally unambiguous about this point.
All I can say for sure is that it is very odd that TDF transmitted its
23:58 UTC end-of-minute marker one second later than DCF and MSF did (which
otherwise use a rather similar encoding as TDF).

Regards,
  Pieter-Tjerk, PA3FWM