[time-nuts] Bye-Bye Crystals

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 13 21:59:30 UTC 2017

.....and some micro-soldering kit to attach the plated unit to the lead
frame. Our factory used homemade hot air jets, I have no idea what the
solder was prob LMP.

Lapping a single blank is difficult, one tends to get rounded edges(even
with the best machine) which affect the activity. See the video, they are
lapping several at the same time. The unplated blanks are put into a skelton
holder and measured and the most promising one proceded with. First an
evaporated contact to fix the blank to the lead frame. Then electrode
evaporation which brings the frequency down, so the final stage evaporates
electrode while measuring the mounted crystal frequency. Allowances need to
be made for the can.

I doubt most small modern firms would have a X-ray goniometer (?) The one I
saw in the 60s would never pass H&S criteria now. They probably buy cut
blanks in bulk, I think they are relatively cheap this way. My supplier in
the 90s did this.
The whole job is quite labour intensive, making a single crystal might
easily eat $1000 worth of manhours for an amateur, not even allowing for the
occasional "oops".
:-))
Alan
G3NYK