[time-nuts] Bye-Bye Crystals

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Mar 14 11:03:10 UTC 2017

For a sinewave oscillator

http://www.wenzel.com/wp-content/uploads/xtalosc.pdf

is a start for fundamental crystals.

However the npn transistor operates a little too close to saturation for my liking.

A small change to the biasing of the npn will fix this.

With overtone crystal operation mode suppression is necessary to ensure the crystal operates on the desired overtone.

Amateur literature on crystal oscillators and even LC oscillators includes quite a few relatively poor circuits.

Looking at oscillator circuits like the HP10811A will give some idea of some of the additional complexity required for a overtone operation. Dissecting a few ocxos may also be helpful. Some start with a 10MHz crystal and a Colpitts sustaining stage and use a 74HC74 or similar to  divide the 10Mhz by 2 and drive the output pin. Even when a sinewave output is required often a CMOS inverter drives the output pin via an LC filter.

Bruce