[time-nuts] Bye-Bye Crystals

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 14 22:17:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

Oh yes. I remember a certain design from a certain vendor. It was an
crystal oscillator, sort of. Available in many diverse frequencies
(hint). It was really a crystal oscillator and a PLL that could be
programmed relatively inexpensively. Solves many problems, so it's a
fine product, but it is a no-go for gigabit serial links, such as
fibre-channel, gigabit ethernet and the like, as the PLL caused some
serious systematics. This systematics along with the noise was scaled up
as the step-up PLL just did a wide-band step-up (as it should). The
combination causes excessive bit-errors rendering the link quite
unusefull. With the tools at my hand, a sub-sampling scope with some
cool histogram capabilities I used a resistive divider and a coax delay
so that I could measure the trigger point and also the 1 cycle jitter,
which is essentially what dominates for this kind of setup. I could see
the systematic jitter clearly this way, and I could also get numbers for
the random jitter. The vendors rep said "you can't measure that!" where
I insisted I could. We ended up using other products for that purpose. I
ended up measuring many oscillators to approve their jitter properties.

So well yes, you learn the hard way what those 4-leggers do when you
have a bit of requirements. Later I dug up the patent for the process,
which was focused more on the production of one standard product and
late setting the frequency for customer needs. For it's purpose a great
concept, not for all cases thought.

I know of MEMS issues. One MEMS I measured was tossed into a lock-loop,
but the noise of it made the scope-view completely smeared out, despite
being locked on average. I only showed the scope, pointiing out it was
locked and that was the end of that discussion.

There is nothing wrong with these devices for many purposes, but expect
that it may not solve everything, so measure and learn what
characteristics is important for that particular application.

Cheers,
Magnus