[time-nuts] TDC-GPX2 TDC chip

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 16 03:36:43 UTC 2017

The apparent drift will be determined largely by that of the reference oscillator due to the embedded continuous interpolator calibration. Placing it in an oven will probably degrade the resolution due to the bin size tempco.

All time interval instruments have an offset between channels, This is easily measured and corrected for.

The performance as stated in the datasheet appears comparable if not better than a typical 5370A/B when one takes the various sources of nonlinearity and crosstalk in a 5370A/B into account. It certainly consumes less power even after the power consumption of a good ocxo is added.  Its also somewhat cheaper.

However a comprehensive evaluation of its performance beyond that given in the datasheet is required.

A comprehensive test of the performance of a n actual 5370A/B would also be useful.

Bruce