[time-nuts] Optical Cesium or maybe Cesium "light"!

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Mar 18 04:28:42 UTC 2017

Len Cutler was all set to build an optically
pumped Cs beam 20 years ago.  Even then, he could get the lasers.
He was only missing one thing:  money.  HP management never
agreed to fund it. The paper conspicuously omits any spec
on absolute accuracy.  The optical pumping does nothing to
improve that AFAIK.  It still depends on phase error in the CBT.
The 5071 has a guaranteed accuracy of 10^-12, and is typically
several times better than that.

It is surprising that none of the various makers of the 5071A
ever made an optical version.  I wonder what they are thinking
now that someone else has done it.

Rick