[time-nuts] PLL performance?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Mar 21 19:22:46 UTC 2017

Hi Scott,

That's a nice project.

Combining quartz and pendulum like that is essentially how a GPSDO works. In your case, instead of a 10 MHz oscillator you have a 1 MHz oscillator and instead of 1PPS you have 1/2 PPS. Whether you use an analog loop or a digital loop there are dozens of examples on the web and hundreds of time-nuts postings that cover this territory.

Note that you have a choice of using the hp 107a quartz oscillator to discipline the pendulum, or use the pendulum to discipline the quartz. Each project has a certain charm.

Your decision to use a 32-bit time stamping counter (TSC) is good. Pendulum clocks tend to be less accurate than quartz oscillators and so they tend to "wrap" more often. A TSC avoids the zero boundary, sign, and sample rate issues that can plague a traditional start/stop, aka time interval counter (TIC).

A standard deviation of ~50 counts out to 10 million counts over a day represents a consistency or stability of 50 / 1e7 or 5e-6 or 5 ppm at "tau" 1 day. I would guess the shape of your Gaussian merely reflects the loop parameters you have chosen, and not so much the quality of the 1 MHz quartz or the 0.5 Hz pendulum. For example, tighten the loop and I bet your histogram will narrow.

I'm not sure of your terminology -- at one point you mention 1 MHz, then mention 10,000,000, then mention 10e6, which some people might read as 10^6 as in 1,000,000 or 1e6 and others may read as 10x10^6, as in 10^7 or 10,000,000 or 1e7.

Either way, this level of performance for a hp 107 oscillator or for a pendulum clock seems right. I don't think there's any problem with your setup. Pendulum clocks can easily get to ppm levels; some even get to ppb levels.

One suggestion is for you to make several runs against an independent reference: 1) hp 107A only, 2) pendulum only, 3) hp 107A and pendulum with PLL. When you see these ADEV plots you will get a hint of how the PLL should be tuned. Here's a classic example:

http://www.thinksrs.com/assets/instr/PRS10/PRS10diag2LG.gif

Some additional GPSDO, pendulum/PLL, pendulum ADEV links:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/gpsdo/

http://leapsecond.com/hsn2006/

/tvb