[time-nuts] PLL performance?

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 16:19:09 UTC 2017

Neat Project. I don't know if it will come up for you but optical or hall
rotary encoders are notorious for jitter. While a generic IC comparator may
have an open loop-gain of 100 dB, creating the mechanical equivalent is not
so easy. Hall/optical have a softer switch on/off curve. Depending what you
choose to instrument your pendulum may also introduce more jitter. The
20logN dosen't help either, 1 millideg at 0.5 Hz is 5.5 cycles at 1 MHz.