[time-nuts] Time Dilation tinkering

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 22 20:29:38 UTC 2017

On 3/22/17 10:07 AM, Arnold Tibus wrote:

>> No tall mountains in Australia, but...
>>
>> Pikes Peak in the US is 14114 ft, 4304m and has a road to the top. Of
>> course the base is at about 5000 ft/1600 m
>>
>> In EU, there's probably a Seilbahn of some sort pretty high up in the
>> Alps, although probably not to 4000m.
>
> I like the englisch word 'Seilbahn' ;-)
Well, the equipment is all made by German speaking companies, even in
the US, so it seems an appropriate term.  Cable Car or Gondola aren't a
unique description (i.e. Cable Cars in San Francisco and Gondolas in Venice)

> Yes, not fully up to 4000 m, but there are in fact quite close to the
> possibilities I know:
>
> 1. Klein Matterhorn, Walliser Alpen, Schweiz
> Bergstation: 3820 m,
>
> 2. Aiguille du Midi, France
> Télépherique de l’Aiguille du Midi
> from Chamonix
> Bergstation: 3777 m
> Gourmet-Restaurant, 3842 m

Now that I think about it, though, speed of transit isn't as important
as "length of time at altitude", because if we're following tvb's GREAT
experiment, you have some clocks you leave at the low elevation, then
some clocks you take high for while, then bring back low, and you
compare the apparent "elapsed time". So longer duration helps increase
the delta (but also, of course, adding to the variance of the two
measurements, so there's a tradeoff).

So, are you better off with a week long camping trip at a moderate
altitude, or a 14 hour flight at 10-15,000 meters.  Or would you take a
small battery powered package up to the Bergstation and leave it there
for a week?

The airport in La Paz, Bolivia is at around 4000 meters, the city itself
at 3600m.

With relatively inexpensive atomic clocks, could one, with clever
mailing addresses, send two clocks the opposite directions around the
earth, and duplicate the famous traveling clocks experiment.  For
instance, with a collaborator in Australia or India, EU, and US, you
could probably arrange for the packages to go the "correct" direction.