[time-nuts] more of a time distribution question

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Mar 30 20:08:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 09:37:50 -0700
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Running NTP (in some flavor) would be the obvious approach, but I'm in
> an environment where there's no "outside" connectivity.. Could I make
> one of the beaglebones be the NTP server, and the others be the clients?

Yes, you can tell ntpd to use the system clock as reference.
I have in my ntpd.conf:

---schnipp---
# use hw clock in case no servers available
server  127.127.1.0  # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
---schnapp---

That makes the system clock a valid source. The fudge line is there
to prevent ntpd from using the local system clock as reference unless
it's the only source available.

			Attila Kinali

--
You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to