[time-nuts] Counter Internal Oscillator Importance with ExternalReference?

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 01:40:41 UTC 2017

Hi All;

Thanks for the input. Tom a question, was there any difference between the two 53230A oscillator when locked to an external reference? I have also experienced poor results with my 53230A often showing constant reference errors. Sadly I have several each  53230A's Ultra Stab and MCA3027's Med Stab so I cannot directly compare oscillator performance. I am trying to reverse engineer the Tektronix FCA/MCA counter to determine if there is away to directly feed an external reference is a direct reference instead of phase locking the internal reference while keeping the rest of the functionality intact, Which appears possible on these boxes. It appears U11B send off/on signals from pin 3,4,5 to switch between Std3, Oven5, or Rubidium4 internal ref which then provides 10MHz signals to U11B pin 204 RB ,205 Std,206 Oven respectively, What sense and controls that I have yet to determine, the selection may be in the menu. That may allow simple adding a connector and cable to the rear panel. U9A seems to relate PLL and switching. Perhaps the same is possible with the 53230A. I spoke with a friend Fred Walls today and asked if he though the internal reference was much of a factor when Lock to a good external reference and he did not thin so.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Thomas Knox