[time-nuts] TruePosition on an Arduino

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Sat May 13 22:19:14 UTC 2017

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Ben Hall <kd5byb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been wanting to dive more into Arduino...so I figured I'd write my
> own interface program.  The last software class I took was FORTRAN...and
> then I did a little BASIC, so this C code stuff is all new to me and it's
> been a real learning experience.

I have done quite a lot of time-related work on the Arduino and here are
some suggestions:

-- Use the Arduino Leonardo or Micro board rather than the Uno. These use
the 32u4 processor rather than the Uno's 328p. The 32u4 has integrated USB
for the programming port, freeing up the hardware serial port to
communicate with a GPS without resorting to resource-intensive bit-banging
or interfering with the programming port. I prefer the Micro because its
pins are on 0.1" centers, making it compatible with a solderless breadboard.

-- For NMEA communication, use Mikal Hart's TinyGPS++ library, available at
http://arduiniana.org/libraries/tinygpsplus/
This handles all the parsing of both standard and non-standard NMEA
messages, You can use this in conjunction with the standard Time library to
convert GPS time to a unix-like date and time structure.

Contact me off-list if you want code examples.

--

--Jim Harman