[time-nuts] GPS seconds conversion on an Arduino

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun May 14 10:24:13 UTC 2017

Hi Mark,

You don't need to boil everything into one single number before
decomposing it into another form.

If you start with the years, well, the different sums at most offset you
by 1 as you branch to the next year at somewhat misaligned dates.
Similar with GPS weeks etc.

If you think it through, you can make a first rough estimate, and
correct it step-wise, making sure the ripple rules is properly applied.

Operating in de-composed form isn't all that hard. It is however
important to make test-benches that can check the dates over a wide
range of years. I typically do many centuries, to make sure I got the
Julian ripple rules right.

I made one function which was a bit handy, giving the amount of leap
days since epoch. In this case you would not only need the Julian but
also the Gregorian, and the difference between them would be... your
leap day adjustment.

Cheers,
Magnus